The top Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee said Oct. 9 that defense spending could be reduced by an additional $10 billion if the across-the-board Pentagon cuts hit in 2013.
Rep. Norm Dicks (D-Wash.) sent a “dear colleague” letter which said that an additional 1.9 percent cut to defense spending could come on top of the 9.4 percent cut that the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) estimated in its report to Congress last month.
The Dicks letter says that the total defense cuts under sequestration would be $60.6 billion in 2013, which is $10 billion higher than the figure cited by OMB.
“OMB, in accordance with the [Sequestration Transparency Act], looked at only one aspect of sequestration,” Dicks wrote in the letter. “As another motivation to act, the BCA [Budget Control Act] also set up a second, separate sequestration to enforce the firewall between security and non-security appropriations. Because the Joint Committee failed, a new and lower defense firewall goes into effect, requiring an additional cut in defense spending.”
The committee also laid out job losses it estimates will occur as a result of the non-defense sequester, which will also be cut $55 billion in 2013.
The committee estimated more than 24,500 Homeland Security jobs would be lost, 2,200 FAA jobs, and 3,000 Justice Department positions including the within the FBI, U.S. Marshals and the Drug Enforcement Agency.